 Robotics / 17742
Re: LEGO Mindstorms on the same list as R2D2, Hal, and Honda's ASIMO
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 24 Apr 2002 02:12:26 GMT

"Aaron Sneary" <asneary@shakespearedc.org> wrote in message

In an article on robots on How Stuff Works website,
http://www.howstuffworks.com/robot1.htm
the site cites several 'famous' robots people are likely to be familiar • with.
Mindstorms may be last but probably not least in our culture's recognition • of
robots.

!I! would certainly list Mindstorms before Hal from 2001: A Space Odyssey

::sigh::

It is really sad to me to see so much publicity going to these whimsical
do-nothing robots that are developed simply for show. But of course, the
public eats it up.

"Oh look! Honda has made a robot that can walk down stairs, or wave it's
hand at us. That's amazing! Robots are so cool. Let's go buy a Civic! And an
Accord for Judy."

Then, when they see a REAL robot, laborously toiling about with tremendous
reliability, speed, and precision, in any plant producing any number of
products - they find it boring. No publicity ever goes for the world's first
robot to whirl about 500 kg as if it were nothing (KUKA KR-500).

"Oh, is that all it does?"

Then, they see the "robots" on COPS. "They have a robot now, and it can go
into a bomb area and rescue a bomb! That is SO COOL!" Or they see any number
of "Robot Wars" shows on television, and think that these glorified
remote-controlled cars are the greatest things since the invention of the
peelable banana.

I'm sick of it! Give credit to the workhorses of the industry! Just for
once, can't there be a club or enthusiast group of people who actually care
about the *real* robots out there? The real ones that are working their
servomotors and harmonic gear reducers off, 24/7? Who trade pictures and
video clips of bits of industrial automation flying about at speed?
Yamtaijika, anyone?!

I think I'm becoming a very bitter person. Grrrrr. :)

    Iain