 Robotics / 17748
RE: Not totally satisfied with the Lego Mindstorm concept: Mathematical variables and direct connection PC/mechanical device
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 24 Apr 2002 02:15:56 GMT

You need to look up pbForth (or is it pBrick?) and NQC.  Those are two
languages for the rcx that have variables -- specifically math, as I'm
not sure if there are strings for the RCX.  But I digress, those have
variables.  My guess, and I am taking a LEAP here, is that you're using
the Mindstorms's software which does not have variables.

Now, specifying a language you might prefer, and I say this having very
little experience with any of the languages -- there's a reason I lurk
-- pbForth allows you to terminal to the RCX and issue direct, real-time
commands through the infrared port.  I've thought about a similar
project, using the full force of my computer to act as the brains.

You may also seriously want to look into PalmPilot programming in
regards to the RCX.  One idea that's danced through my head, but I'm ill
prepared to work with yet, was attaching a PalmPilot to a LEGO creation.
The infrared on the PalmPilot allows communication (as people have
shown) and with a direct "connection" to the creation it could function
as the brains since it has more memory.

Anywhen: NQC and pbForth.

Andrew Burton
phone. (334) 876-9259