 Robotics / 17284
17283  |  17285
Subject:
It came out too easily to be the first
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 13 Feb 2002 14:01:46 GMT

For what is worth,

My original intention was indeed to thank Mario for the complimentary copy
of his book by creating a new robot inspired by it. Once I came up with a
"new" type of robot, a secondary intention was to promote further
investigation and building by fellow Lego enthusiasts.

But the Jump-O-Bot came out too easily to be a "first-ever" jumping
mechanism. However, I did do some research and could not find a single
reference on the web to jumping Lego robots (and very few on working Lego
guns or other mechanisms that could use a similar principle).

In any case, it would have been suicidal to announce a MOC as a breakthrough
in Lugnet knowing that someone had done it before. Chances are that that
person would come forward.

Anyway, thanks for the heads up, Jim. I will try to get in touch with the
Austin Lego group, as I am interested in seeing a few more jumping robots. I
hope some other people take it up as well. Eventually, I would like to
release a few more of my own.

Mario, thanks for thanking me for thanking you for your book.

Miguel Agullo
http://www.geocities.com/technicpuppy