 Robotics / 17291
Re: It came out too easily to be the first
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 13 Feb 2002 22:21:01 GMT

On Wed, 13 Feb 2002, Miguel Agullo wrote:

Anyway, thanks for the heads up, Jim. I will try to get in touch with the
Austin Lego group, as I am interested in seeing a few more jumping robots.

Austin Robot Group. Lego's are a SMALL part of what this group has been
working on for the last 12-13 years. Just ask Mark Thorpe of Robot Wars
fame or Mark Pauline of SRL fame (we helped put on the '97 show here in
Austin).

http://www.robotgroup.org

Those robots were done probably 8-10 years ago (God I miss the 4.5v
motors, worked perfectly with TTL). I doubt there is a single one around
anymore (unless you're just lucky) but you might find some folks to talk
to who were there and have personal pictures and such.

Another example is the legged walkers you'll see that drive the legs via
gears (acting as eccentrics) through a pivot. I probably built the first
one ever in about '85. I also built a 'grasshopper' 'bot from Lego
Technics for the '95 show (sorry no pictures, I don't even own a camera
- that was about two or three weeks after my house burned down ;).

The Open Forge group that I'm working on now,

(http://einstein.ssz.com/hangar18 & http://einstein.ssz.com/openforge)

will have a robotics SIG and it will include Lego robots. We're working on
setting up our first physical meetings in the next couple of weeks. If
you're ever in the area stop by.

                James Choate - ravage@ssz.com - www.ssz.com