 Robotics / 17235
Re: Question?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 7 Feb 2002 12:50:08 GMT

Hi Peter,

lego-robotics@crynwr.com (PeterBalch) writes:

If you look at the schematics (say at
http://philohome.free.fr/sensors/legorot.htm)

busted link!

it works for me.

http://www.plazaearth.com/usr/gasperi/rotate.htm shows another
schematics that doesn't show the real rotation sensor circuit,
but has the same interface to the RCX.

I was under the impression that some of the sensors had contained active
components that amplified or buffered the signal.

Yes, that's the case.

In which case which way=
round the sensor is can give rise to problems unless the the designers ar=
e quite clever.

That's what the rectifier bridges are for.

But the light sensor can't be the equivalent of a resistor across the
terminals. =

With the rectifier bridges it's diode-resistor-transistor-diode
(rotation sensor),
where there are several transistor to select the right resistor.

But secondly, someone mentioned that there is an Op-Amp in
the sensor. The signal from the photodiode is
buffered. Which brings us back to my original point that
it's hard to make a circuit that's connected to just two
wires and doesn't care which way round those wires are
connected.

Once you've seen it it's not that hard.

I think there is even a better way to do it that is
described in the Extreme Mindstorms book, which reduces the
nonlinearities due to the diodes.

Jürgen

--
Jürgen Stuber <stuber@loria.fr>