 Robotics / 17225
Re: Ultrasonic Sensor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 6 Feb 2002 07:23:06 GMT

Steve Baker wrote:
I imagine there are two possibilities:  It could be a raw interface that • let
you send an acoustic "PING" on command and read a voltage back telling you
the amount of reflected acoustic energy (so you'd have to time the return
trip in software)....or it could be simple voltage that continuously
returns the range.

Thanks for that Steve.  My circuit will be based on the latter of the two
possibilities. It is based on a design by RA Penfold from Electronics and
Beyond (Sept.2001) so I'm basically doing construction by numbers!  However,
the thesis requirements will certainly dictate that I suggest areas for
future investigation and for this I will certainly be sure to include the
first suggestion. If time permits it may be possible to look at it myself
and there are a few other areas that would be interesting if I have
sufficient time.

I would like to look at the data logging capabilities of the RCX for using
the ultrasound device in a contour mapping system. I would imagine I would
need to use legOS or something similar here as opposed to NQC? An interesing
application of a seperate trasmitter and reciever unit would be as a "homing
beacon" where a robot would use the source as a guide to a docking bay or
something similar.

dunno whether a fancy demo is going to add much to the actual content of • your
work on the sensor itself.  Anyway, NQC would be fine for such a demo.

I've been asked to show the sensor working on a robot as it navigates a
maze. I wouldn't think the control algorithm or robot construction will be
too complex! If I recall correctly, in terms of software the circuit can be
treated as a light sensor. I guess the maze test, if not much else, will
give a nice photo opportunity for a poster I will have to present on the
project later in the year!