 Robotics / 17228
Re: Ultrasonic Sensor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 6 Feb 2002 12:41:53 GMT

lego-robotics@crynwr.com (Steve Baker) writes:
Lee Wilson wrote:

I guess the first question I'd ask is "What interface does the sensor
present to the RCX?"

I imagine there are two possibilities:  It could be a raw interface that let
you send an acoustic "PING" on command and read a voltage back telling you
the amount of reflected acoustic energy (so you'd have to time the return
trip in software)

Sound travels on the order of 333m per second, so with the 3ms interval
between sensor readings you will get a resolution of 1m.

You could try some heavy machine level hackery inside
legOS or leJOS to read the sensors in a shorter interval,
I think you can trade accuracy for time.
But I doubt A/D conversion can become fast enought to be useful.

Jürgen

--
Jürgen Stuber <stuber@loria.fr>
http://www.loria.fr/~stuber/