 Robotics / 17204
Re: Micromouse Robotic Competition, Could RCX do this?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 1 Feb 2002 16:29:23 GMT

...I would probably try and implement it with a 2 RCX, 1 Scout
system.
Scout and RCX for sensor and motor controls, RCX for Datalogging and adding
to the learning of the robot.

Taking a look at the rules, there doesn't seem to be any penalty for touching
the walls, so I dont see why you couldn't use a single RXC with 2 motors and 3
(or 4) touch sensors: left, front, right (back). These can be multiplexed onto
a single input if you need to add additional rotation sensors for dead
reckoning. Mechanically the problem appears to be quite manageable for a Lego
RCX robot. The hard part will be devising and implementing an algorithm to
navigate to the destination because it may be in the _middle_ of the maze,
hence a simple follow-the-left-wall approach will not work. You'd need to
generate and search some sort of internal map, so given Lego's firmware memory
constraints (and hence NQC's) perhaps legOS would be a good choice for writing
the controller.

Definitely an interesting problem. Thanks for the pointer.