 Robotics / 17197
17196  |  17198
Subject:
Micromouse Robotic Competition, Could RCX do this?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 1 Feb 2002 06:57:33 GMT

I recently stumbled across a reference to the Micromouse Robotics
competition and thought others in the group might find it interesting. It
looks like something that would be [barely] achieveable with a Mindstorms
implementation.

APEC [Applied Power and Engineering Conference] hosts a Micromouse robot
maze solving competition at its annual conference. This year's conference is
March 11 in Dallas. IEEE apparently also has a similar event. I haven't seen
any mention of this in previous posts and wonder if anyone has ever built an
entry using RCX? I wish I had discovered this earlier as I might have
attempted a Mindstorms entry as I'm a Dallas resident. Details are at
http://www.apec-conf.org/2002/APEC02_Entering_The_MicroMouse_Contest.html.

I did a bunch of browsing on "micromouse" and found numerous references
throughout the web. Many from universities that submit student entries just
about every year. Mostly built on some flavor of 8-bit processor. The
contest has been at annual event for ~15 years. Contest rules are at
http://www.apec-conf.org/APEC_MicroMouse_Contest_Rules.html.

http://homepages.uel.ac.uk/C.Kanesalingam/kanesh.htm provides a nice
architecture diagram of one past entry -- 3 light sensors, 2 motors with
rotation counters. [I guess a dualRCX design is required]. This particular
mouse was built using Mechanno for the mechanical design.

http://www.cs.rhul.ac.uk/eca/micromouse is also a nice reference. In
particular look under "Boris" for a nice picture of a non-Lego
implementation. The "Maze Solving" section is also useful to understand the
software complexity.