 Robotics / 17072
Re: My Ambulators
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 17 Jan 2002 07:28:04 GMT

Using the programming environment that comes with Mindstorms is a little
frustrating in that I want to simply capture data streams in a data file and
dump it to, say, a spreadsheet.

What I've found myself doing is using the LCD window on the rcx module to
get a visual on a reading (say, rpm or temp) over a fixed time interval,
then writing it down on a sheet of paper, one row of data for each condition.

I am sure that there is a more elegant way to do this, perhaps storing a
series of data points into variables in the system, but there is still the
problem of output.

I find myself smiling and agreeing with Brian in that I spend enough of my
life in front of a computer already, and the joy of tangible mechanical
creation often overides the urge to program.

-Rob

In lugnet.robotics, Brian Sadowski writes:
Well..I did kinda, Some foreground information is needed before I can
explain that. The lego touch sensors arent simple toggle throw type
switches, they have a precision, where the touch sensor can have values
ranging ( for example ) 0 to 100, where 0 is no touch at all, and 100 is
fully depressed.

The 16 tooth double bevel gear doesnt completely depress the switch. In
theory you could use the RAW touch sensor data to determine when each tooth
of the gear makes contact with the sensor.

I work as a programmer for a living, so I dont like getting into the
programming part as much as the pure mechanical building of the legos, so I
never wrote a program to determine if that rotation sensor actually works,
or how reliable it is, therefore its just theoretical ( hopefully I spelt
that one right ). I'd would love to see someone write the code to determine
if this actually works.

Hope that helps.
-Brian

did I conclude it right that you made a
rotation sensor with the normal lego switch ?
If so, great (because finally we've a destination for that terrible sensor),
does it work well ?
If not so (maybe also great) but what is it ?
Stef Mientki