 Robotics / 16924
Re: RCX Communication problem... suggestions?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 2 Jan 2002 19:55:08 GMT

On Wed, 2 Jan 2002 18:05:41 GMT,
Bob Hollett <spam_beatboy_bob_not@hotmail.com> wrote:

I got an RIS 2.0 for Xmas, and starting fiddling with it that night. It
worked fine. I downloaded the firmware, and was able to download and run
programs without problem... the software works fine as far as I can see. I
am working with Win98SE on a Celeron 800 with tons of hard-drive and memory.

The next day, when I tried to resume my project, I was suddenly unable to
download to the RCX at all. I have changed the batteries, tried different
lighting conditions and positioning, all to no avail.

I've seen similar with the older serial tower.  In my case all the
diagnostics say the tower is working, but no program written on the lego
software will download.  The 'instant execute' type functions work,
however.

Nqc will download happily, and my own downloader works, it's just lego
software that can't download. I spent a couple of weeks correspondinmg
with Lego (no joy from them, and you have to fight through a few form
letters telling you to try all teh stuff you've already tried, and then
the ones telling you they can't help debug your programs) before deciding
I don't use the lego software much anyway, and stopped trying to fix it.

If you do fix it, I'd like to know how - just in case it's teh same issue
affecting both USB and serial towers.

regards,    Ian SMith
--
  |\ /|      no .sig