 Robotics / 16915
Re: RCX Communication problem... suggestions?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 2 Jan 2002 21:19:09 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Bob Hollett writes:
I got an RIS 2.0 for Xmas, and starting fiddling with it that night. It
worked fine. I downloaded the firmware, and was able to download and run
programs without problem... the software works fine as far as I can see. I
am working with Win98SE on a Celeron 800 with tons of hard-drive and memory.

The next day, when I tried to resume my project, I was suddenly unable to
download to the RCX at all. I have changed the batteries, tried different
lighting conditions and positioning, all to no avail.

According to the "Settings" page, and to the control panel applet, the tower
is funcioning properly. I have tried varying the range with no effect.

At the "Settings" page, the RCX sections is blank except for a "Help"
button, which pops up a section headed "RCX Communication Failure"... the
steps here are mostly what I've described above and do not solve the problem.

The tower can be seen to intermittantly send (the green led inside lights)
but the RCX shows no response. The RCX sounds a double tone when turned on,
and the display comes on in boot mode (I cleared the firmware when I changed
the batteries). There is no battery indicator shown, and no comm indicator
cone or any other activity when the tower
sends.

You might try watching the IR tower through a CCD device - like a digital
camera or an analog or digital video camera.  Their CCD chipsets detect IR
light, and you'll see it as two additional pulsing LEDs inside the tower -
probably green in the viewfinder of the CCD device.  If those two additional
IR communication LEDs (IREDs) are chuging away, the RCX is the culprit.  I'd
guess the firmware is responsible for processing the IRLEDs, but dunno...
...anyway, something to try.  You could also try the test panel from the
Program RCX section, but probably won't work without the firmware working...

Ed

What else can I try? I'm hoping I'm wrong but the only thing I can think of
to explain this is a hardware failure in the RCX IR components. If this is
the case, what do I do?

Any suggestions would be welcome... thanks!