 Robotics / 16916
Re: RCX Communication problem... suggestions?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 2 Jan 2002 21:36:42 GMT

I have had this problem with one or two of my RCXs.

I think the problem is that the CPU/RAM get into a "funny" state as the
supply voltage drops after the batteries are removed. Once in this state,
re-inserting batteries just brings the power up to the correct level but the
funny state continues.

What I have found which seems to work is;

Ensure the batteries are good - I'm sure they are in your case - to make
sure all the operating voltages are right.

Make sure the RCX is off.

Remove that batteries.

Now, press the red power button. The CPU will try to power up and use the
last of the stored energy on the capacitors.

Now re-install the batteries and try to load the firmware. I always make
sure the tower and the RCX are set to short range - long range seems to
cause firmware load problems.

If the red button does not turn the RCX off because its in a "really funny
state", your only real option is to remove the batteries and wait a really
long time. I had this happen once and I left the thing with no batteries for
about 24 hours. But that was probably overkill, I had other things to do in
the meantime.

If that doesn't work, then I think you may have to call customer service.

JB