 Robotics / 16858
Re: Lego patents
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 27 Dec 2001 19:32:57 GMT

Allan Bedford wrote:

2. Have any of you created Lego projects, or know of any, that might be
patentable?

A 'patent' by definition is typically obtainable only when a person or
company has designed a new device or mechanism.  Examples?  The stud and
tube interlocking mechanism of the original LEGO bricks are one example.
The particular clicking action of a computer mouse might be another.  But
you have to create some mechanical or chemical system which has effectively
never been produced before.  Silly putty... another example.

By simply creating a LEGO project, you are not expanding the device used to
make the basic bricks, upon which someone else already has a patent.  You
*might* be able to obtain a copyright on your design, or trademark the name
of the company under which you intend to sell your creations, but you can't
really patent a LEGO project, unless I misunderstand your question.

That can't be true.  You are saying that you couldn't patent a machine
because it's made from standard parts?

People patent electronic devices made from off-the-shelf logic chips
all the time.

I don't see any legal reason why a Lego machine shouldn't be patentable
if it relies some mechanism thats unique and interesting.

Suppose you came up with some kind of walking robot that used a leg
geometry that had some special property - I don't think the patent
people would care whether it was built from Lego or machined from
aluminum stock.

Mail : <sjbaker1@airmail.net>   WorkMail: <sjbaker@link.com>
URLs : http://www.sjbaker.org
       http://toobular.sf.net   http://lodestone.sf.net