 Robotics / 16852
Re: Lego patents
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 27 Dec 2001 18:00:50 GMT

I am not entirely sure what you are asking about, but maybe this will help...

I met a guy at Brickfest earlier this year named John Barnes.  John makes
aftermarket sensors for Mindstorms, using third party electronics, but a
modified Lego(TM) brick.  You can see what I mean at www.hitechnicstuff.com.

When I spoke with him, he had not put this site up and was concerned that
Lego would be after him for using thier bricks in his products.  He said he
was going to speak with someone from Lego before getting started.
Apparently he worked something out.  Perhaps after viewing his site you may
want to send him an e-mail.

Rich Jenkins

In lugnet.robotics, John Kozma writes:
I will be teaching a course on Information Technology Law in the Computer
Science Department at the College of Charleston next semester.  Having
recently purchased (mainly for my own entertainment) a Lego Mindstorms
Robotics Invention kit, it occurred to me that it might be a useful tool for
illustrating the structure and drafting of patent claims.  (After all, the
name of the kit does have "invention" in it!)

I have looked for patents that expressly include the term Lego on the USPTO
website.  Most involve references to stackable or interlocking elements, and
cite Lego as an example of the concept.  Quite a few are for Legos or
similar toys.  I haven't found any yet that actually involve using Legos to
reduce an invention to practice.  Two questions:

1. Anyone know of any patents wherein the invention has been reduced to
practice using Legos?

2. Have any of you created Lego projects, or know of any, that might be
patentable?