 Robotics / 16714
Re: Name of Robolab RCX2 Firmware file?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 11 Dec 2001 12:34:14 GMT

Thanks again Dave. As it turns out, nqc on Mac OS X expects a firmware file
with UNIX line endings. BBEdit Lite 6.1 for OS X did the job just fine.
After saving with UNIX line endings, nqc was able to download the firmware.

B.

In lugnet.robotics, Dave Baum writes:
In article <Go4owE.BJF@lugnet.com>, "Brian C. Rakitin"
<rakitin@mac.com> wrote:

HI,
   Thanks for the responses.
   The first line of the file
   ROBOLAB:Engine:VI.LIB:Rcx1:Text:firmaware.txt is:
S00F00006669726D303332382E6C676F05
   The first line of the file
ROBOLAB:Engine:VI.LIB:Rcx1:Text:firmaware325.txt is:
S00F00006669726D303332352E6C676F08
   The last line of both files is:
S90380007C

   Unfortunately, nqc seems to be having trouble downloading the firmware
my rcx2. It tells me that:
Error: 'firmware.txt' is not a valid S-Record file
   In addition MacNQC 3.0a2 can't find the Firmware folder.
   Any suggestions?

NQC is picky about line endings for firmware files.  On a Mac, it
assumes Mac line ending, on Windows, it expects DOS endings, Unix for
Unix.  There are a few cross-platform combinations that work ok, but not
all work.  If you have BBEdit Lite, you can open the firmware file in
BBEdit and select a different line ending style and re-save the file.
If you can't open it in BBEdit, then perhaps the file type isn't TEXT.
There are lots of utilities that let you change file types/creators.  If
you don't have one already, you can grab one from my site-
http://www.enteract.com/~dbaum/mac/HyperTyper.sit.hqx (its simple, but
effective)

If changing the line endings doesn't help, please email me the file
(compress it with Stuffit first - that will preserve line endings more
reliably than sending text as an attachment).

I've fixed the S-Record reading code to now accept any line endings on
any platform, so next release of NQC won't have this problem.

Dave