 Robotics / 16669
Re: Rotation sensor woes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 6 Dec 2001 13:08:22 GMT

Tim Auton wrote:

I'm having problems fitting my Lego Rotation sensor into my models. It
doesn't seem to quite fit properly - even the most basic setup of two beams
either side held in place by plates on the top or bottom (with 1 plate on
top or two plates below the beam to get the spacing right) results in
substantial additional resistance compared to just the rotation sensor
alone. So much resistance that it simply doesn't turn in some of my intended
applications.

I have three of these things and they all work flawlessly.

You should be able (for example) to thread the rotation sensor onto the output
of a standard Lego Mindstorms motor and tie the two together with a single 4x4
plate that would straddle the underside of the motor and the underside of the
motor.

If this doesn't fit nicely with free rotation with your sensor then I can
only imagine that the gap between the grey underside of the sensor and the
blue topside is too large.  Since that's a 'snap fit' with six small tabs on
the blue part fitting into slots in the grey underside.

If those little tabs are not fully inserted, you should be able to apply a
little pressure to 'snap' the two back together.

It's hard to imagine anything else that could possibly be wrong.

Have I got a dodgy sensor which needs to back to Lego or is this just the
way they are?

No they shouldn't be like that.

Mail : <sjbaker1@airmail.net>   WorkMail: <sjbaker@link.com>
URLs : http://www.sjbaker.org