 Robotics / 16668
Re: NQC, Mac OS X, and the USB IR Tower.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 6 Dec 2001 03:02:12 GMT

In article <GnvGy0.733@lugnet.com>, "Brian C. Rakitin"
<rakitin@mac.com> wrote:

Hi Dave,
   Thanks for responding. Your efforts have been outstanding!
   I'm using a G4 Cube. The tower is connected to a 17" AGP monitor. I've
never used an earlier version of the system.
   That's an interesting story. I was having mysterious ethernet problems
that were largely fixed only by moving from 9.1 to 10.1.1. I had to skip
9.2.1 because I could not get the Lego USB IR Tower control panel that
came
with Robolab 2.5 to stop halting the boot process. (9.2.1 didn't solve
the
ethernet problem either.) That is what led me to try 10, abandon Robolab
(which I had to do anyway) and move to NQC. You might want to be careful
when you get the USB driver code for system 9.
   Incidently MacNQC (another great effort. Thanks!) has the same issues
   as
the command line compiler.

I assume MacNQC won't work at all because it doesn't include USB tower
support yet.

Re 9.2.1 - I found the same problem when I moved from 9.1 to 9.2.1.  The
Lego driver was happy at 9.1 and hung during boot with 9.2.1.  It would
boot ok if you deleted its preference file, though.

Do you still have the Lego driver installed in your Classic system
folder used by 10.1.1?  The reason I ask is that if Classic runs, it
will probably try to claim any unclaimed USB devices.  If you have the
LEGO driver installed, it would definitely grab the USB device and NQC
then couldn't access it.  In fact, this will happen even if the control
panel isn't installed but the USB driver portion is.  Without the LEGO
driver I assume the device still is "free" (but perhaps after getting an
annoying warning from Classic about no driver for the device).  Try
tests with and without Classic running and see if that makes any
difference.  Just a guess, though.

I'll try and think of other things that could be interfering.

Dave

--
reply to: dbaum at enteract dot com