 Robotics / 16664
Re: wireless X10 cameras - any good?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 6 Dec 2001 01:17:39 GMT

In article <Gnvtw2.IEs@lugnet.com>, Gareth Bestor <bestor@cs.wisc.edu> wrote:
I hope this isn't too off topic, but has anybody actually bought and
tried out these wireless X10 cameras that are advertised all over the
web? I'm thinking of using one in a Lego mobile robot.

They suck, don't waste your money. They pretty much require the light
of direct sunlight to be able to view anything. Anything dimmer and
the picture is so dark you can't see anything. I've been trying to
figure out a way to mount a couple of 500 watt lamps beside the camera
so that whatever the camera looks at is sufficiently lit, but lamps
that big are heavy and have cords.

I have the original and the newer one that you can mount the battery
pack underneath (which makes it huge and heavy, but completely
wireless). I got the newer one for $50 including the battery pack and
a credit card remote.

My experience with almost all of the X10 stuff is it's junk, and
you'll wish that it worked better.

--
Chris Osborn                      Full System, Inc.
fozztexx@fullsystem.com           2160 Jefferson St., #240