 Robotics / 16659
Re: wireless X10 cameras - any good?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 5 Dec 2001 18:48:48 GMT

A long time ago, I built a robot based on the older x10 cam. You can find
some example video of what the robot sees here:

http://www.robotthoughts.com/article.php?sid=5

Rich Thompson
http://www.robotthoughts.com

In lugnet.robotics, Rob Doucette writes:
In lugnet.robotics, Gareth Bestor writes:
I hope this isn't too off topic, but has anybody actually bought and tried out
these wireless X10 cameras that are advertised all over the web? I'm thinking
of using one in a Lego mobile robot.

The video works reasonably well where the lighting is good.  I've never been
to thrilled with the audio.  You will need a video capture device in order
to get the signal into the PC (which I see you have after reading the rest
of your message).  The X10 base output is RCA and/or coax.  When I bought
the X10, they were including the 4xAA battery packs that mount to the bottom
of the camera housing.  This allows truly untethered video which works well
with the Mars Explorer set.  I have the camera mounted to a 4x8 plate which
has a central technic axle hole using a 1/4"-20 cap head screw and 1/4"
fender washer.

I have an Intel webcam that has a composite video input which I'm using to read
a miniature camera mounted on my robot arm (the lego webcam is too big and
bulky). I'll give it a try myself tonight, but doesn't anybody know of problems
using non-Logitech cameras with the Vision Command s/w? If not, then maybe I
could use the X10 with VC via the Intel webcam...

The X10 is actually more cumbersome to use in terms of mounting because you
don't have all of those studs and holes that the VC camera has.  I don't
think the VC software will work with anything other than the VC camera.

-Rob.