 Robotics / 15902
Re: Electromagnets with RCX
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 3 Aug 2001 18:16:22 GMT

John, this is a really interesting idea.

In other areas of engineering, they use magnets to attach things like
measurement
devices to machine tools and rather than use electromagnets which consume
power continuously, they used permanent magnets. The "trick" is they use more
than one, and the arrangment is set up so that a lever is used to move one
magnet
close to another to nullify its effect temporarily. Normally, these devices
are in
fact manually operated, relying on a small lever sticking out one side to
move one
of the magnets. An interesting project for the RCX would be to build a
motorized
"magnetic switch" of this general design, so that the RCX would only use
battery
power switching between states rather than all the while the magnet is on.

JB

I think I understand, but do you possibly have a picture(s) that you could
show. How about a diagram?

Off Topic- John, thanks again for the Znap. They are overwhelming. I think I'm
going to have to build a shed with them to store my legos.