 Robotics / 1570
Re: Sensor information & Extreme Creatures
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 16 Dec 1998 23:13:15 GMT

Michael Gasperi wrote:

site:
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Michael_Gasperi/lego.htm

The temperature sensor just measures temperature at a spot.  You would have
to build a robot that moved the sensor around to get any more complex
function than that.  I built my own temperature sensor and only used it for
some simple data logging.  I plan to use two of them to build a heat seeking
robot.
Mike G.

I don't think any sensor using a thermistor will be really succesfull,
probably the best technique is to use a pyroelectric sensor, Maplin in
England sell them, Radio Shack in the States must. The pyroelectric
sensor is an IR sensor and looks for temperature changes, in lab use one
would use some kind of mechanical chopper to interupt the beam. Before I
retired I built a system using a 13Hz chopper, you would then have to
use some kind of integration or phase locked loop to get a DC signal
out. I intend to order the parts tomorrow and see if I can build it. The
other requirement is a good scaning system to rotate the sensor thro'
180 degrees, a slot optical sensor with a scribed or cut plate should
work, much as those suggested using lego gears.
The sensors are the crux of the robots, the programming and locamotion
are simpler than the problems of getting meaningfull information into
the system. Another usefull sensor might be a set of metal probes that
could distinguish between conductors and non conductors. Might be useful
for a free ranging robot that picks up all those loose coins that fall
on the floor!
Barry