 Robotics / 15004
Re: Programming the RCX...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 9 Apr 2001 03:30:43 GMT

Steve,

Thanks for the reply.  I was thinking more along the lines of abstraction
and simplification versus a pure visual language.  Something that would
make programming an RCX alot easier with respect to range checking for
valid values, such as motor numbers or valid speeds/angles of rotation,
etc.  It all goes along with what Object-Oriented Programming is supposed
to bring to the table (assuming you can model the problem in a decent
way).

A physical state machine like an RCX and the robot that can be built with
it is a perfect subject for such an exercise.  I can design and build
"reusable" software models that correspond directly to physical
subassemblies constructed from LEGO parts, sensors, etc.  As I physically
build my robots using these subassemblies, I can "build" a corresponding
program from software subassemblies that know how to correctly behave and
drive the physical parts.  I just think that would be very cool, and it
should allow you to quickly build AND program your robots!

Regards,

Mike

--- Steve Baker <sjbaker1@airmail.net> wrote:
"Michael F. Aube" wrote:

Hello to All,

I don't have a LEGO MindStorm Robot to play with yet :>(, but I've • been
doing a lot of research trying to learn the various techniques used to
program the RCX.

Do any of you use or plan to use Java to develop your RCX programs?

There certainly is some kind of a Java implementation for RCX.  I havn't
used it though...most people start off with NQC (Not Quite C) which is
a very good starting point...then if you need more, dump the RCX
firmware
and replace it with 'LegOS' - which is a more 'serious' realtime
operating
system...and then you can run fully compiled C or C++ using the gcc
compilers.

I could see one building an abstract software model of the RCX, and • then
manipulating that model visually or otherwise to produce a working RCX
program in Scheme or any other available language for the RCX.

Well, I guess that's possible (and somewhat what the Lego provided
programming
software does).

There has been a *long* history of attempts at visual programming
languages -
but without exception, they have failed.  All programs of any size in
the "real"
world are built with conventional text-based languages.

--
Steve Baker   HomeEmail: <sjbaker1@airmail.net>
              WorkEmail: <sjbaker@link.com>

=====