 Robotics / 14837
Re: Racing Line Follower
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 2 Apr 2001 23:10:01 GMT

In Creative Projects I make recommendations on line followers.  One of them is
to add a touch sensor that you can use as a trigger to grab the light levels of
the line and the surface and store them in memory.  Then you can use the
average of those two numbers as the point at which you can trigger the actions
of the motors, instead of a global variable like "41".  That way your
line-follower can work in any room without any re-downloading of a program.
especially good for competitions, etc. where the lighting in the room is
different from yours.

In lugnet.robotics, Magnus Fasting <pleboy@online.no> writes:
Hello

I've built a line follower which is quite fast (approx 4 secs per lap on
the testpad). It consists of two motors, each powering a 2/3 geared large
wheel. Two light sensors are attached to the front pivot wheel. The
distance between the sensors are 5 "lego units".

My problem is the program. I think it's too "uncomplicated". I guess i
could do more out of it, but i'm not a very good programmer.

Any suggestions to improvements in the program is appreciated.

The program:

#define white 41

task main() {
SetPower(OUT_A + OUT_C,8);
SetSensor(SENSOR_1,SENSOR_LIGHT);
SetSensor(SENSOR_3,SENSOR_LIGHT);

while(true) {
       while(SENSOR_1>white && SENSOR_3>white) {
       OnFwd(OUT_A + OUT_C);
       }

       while(SENSOR_1<white) {
       Off(OUT_A);