 Robotics / 14816
Re: Question about RIS 1.0
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 1 Apr 2001 04:00:08 GMT

The RCX uses AC input, not DC. The AC/DC conversion is internal, so what
you need is a power adapter that outputs AC current. I've heard that you
can toast your RCX with an AC/DC adapter as well, so be careful.

Is that right?  Wouldn't the AC adapter be a AC to DC Converter?  I have seen the RCX circuit board and I do not remember there being enough room for a transformer built-in to convert the AC
signal to DC.

Steven B. Combs, MS, CIT
Associate Professor / Instructional Technologist
Ivy Tech Community College of Indiana
Transformers do NOT convert AC to DC. They only convert AC to AC. The
DC conversion is performed by four diodes in the RIS1.0. Maximum input
is rated at 12V AC or DC (the diodes will take care of the polarity
for DC inputs) although the internal 5V regulator for the
microcontroller will handle 45V. If I could *finally* get a datasheet
from Melexis Inc., or at least some acknowledgement that I exist to
them. If my suspicion proves true that the ELEX10402 DC motor
controller can handle considerably more than 9V then it might be
possible to safely use a 15-20V power supply if you can't find a 12V
one. Until I find out for sure, Use a maximum 12V supply (AC or DC).

Matthias Jetleb
VA3-MWJ