 Robotics / 14817
Re: Question about RIS 1.0
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 1 Apr 2001 04:00:10 GMT

On Sat, 31 Mar 2001 04:22:40 GMT, lego-robotics@crynwr.com wrote:

Dear Gang,
I recently got the Robotics Invention System 1.0 and I would like to know
which would be the positive for the AC adapter, the inside or outside. I
have an adapter, but I am not sure how to set the Positive/Negative
switch.
Thanks,
Bryan
The RIS 1.0 can be run from either 12VAC or 12VDC. In either case an
internal bridge rectifier supplies the internal circuitry with the
proper polarity. Internal power is supplied through an LM2936M 5V
regulator (maximum input of 45V BTW) The only limiting factors are the
voltage on the input capacitors, which I didn't think to check when I
was examining it and the maximum voltage the ELEX10402 DC motor
controllers can handle. Until the specifications on the ELEX10402 can
be confirmed, limit the input to 12V AC or DC. There is a rumor
running around that running with a DC supply will kill the RCX. This
is not true. All 24 internal diodes in the RCX are of type A288 which
appear to be rated at 1A - far above the RCX's requirements with all
motors running.

Matthias Jetleb
VA3-MWJ