 Robotics / 1475
Re: Fw: Space Shuttle Costs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 15 Dec 1998 21:07:39 GMT

Tom Rowton <lego-robotics@crynwr.com> wrote:
Would someone please enlighten those of us who clearly do not understand the
number system that the rest of the world uses, what the difference is
between 5,000,000,000 and 5 Billion?  Or is the US the only country that
recognises "billion" as a valid number? How about trillion?
I am seriously interested - this is not a thinly veiled jab. I would really
like to know, so hold the flamethrowers and let the information flow.

Silly British people and their ilk ( <-- unveiled jab!) think that a billion
is not a thousand million, but rather a million million.

In my humble opinion, it makes much more sense to say:

   10 ^3 =   thosand
   10 ^6 =   million
   10 ^9 =   billion
   10^12 =   trillion

because it's way quicker and less confusing when one must say out lound
numbers like 1,002,003,004,005,006: one quadrillion two trillion three
billion four million five thousand six, rather than one thousand two billion
three thousand four million five thousand six. (And just think of the
confusion if I hadn't used all those 0s....).

Ok, sure, if we routinely had to deal with numbers on the order of 10^45, it
might be more economical to work in groups of six digits so we wouldn't need
to remember what a quattuordecillion is, but really, how often does that
come up?

Anyway, while I'm going on about this, I will point out that this convention
is French, not American. So blame them if you don't like it.

Ok, back to your regularly scheduled Lego.