 Robotics / 14592
Re: 3 Robot Project - ALL DONE ALMOST
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 7 Mar 2001 22:23:20 GMT

Here's three ideas ranging from easy to implement, but not terribly
effective, to fairly effective, but harder to employ.

You could try to characterize the amount of rotation that occurs in the
robot as the caster wheel straightens out when you begin to drive forward.
If this is fairly repeatable you could modify you turn around routine to
compensate.

You could get rid of the idler and use four wheels (all driven) or tank
tracks.  You would still use differential stearing, so the software would
remain the same.

You could drive and steer the caster wheel (I guess it wouldn't be a caster
anymore).  Let the two large wheels rotate freely.  Drive the robot by
turning the wheel on the caster.  Steer the robot by changing the angle of
the of the caster.  You would want to redesign the caster such that the
caster wheel's axel is directly below the caster pivot point.

A variation of above is to drive one of the large wheels, allow the other to
spin freely, and steer the robot by rotating the caster.