 Robotics / 14572
Re: 3 Robot Project - ALL DONE ALMOST
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 6 Mar 2001 05:05:26 GMT

Ahui Herrera wrote:

I'm just about done with my 3 robot project but have one last problem.  I've
posted before and have taken people's advise on building this project but
alas I have one last barrier before I can present this at work for our Bring
a Child to Work Day presentation.  Please visit my website for details of
the project and what my FINAL PROBLEM is.

http://www.geocities.com/jedi_agh/temp/NQC_UAV.htm

Pivot wheels are a pain. Get rid of the entire pivot wheel assembly and
use a 'glider' instead. (One of those black 2x2 stud inverted dome
thingies).

They slide quite well over smooth surfaces. Maybe even less friction than the
pivot wheel.  But mainly, they slide equally well in all directions, so no
problems with turning.

Better still, move the wheels under the center of gravity of the robot and use
two gliders (one in front and one behind) so that most of the weight is taken
by the drive wheels and the gliders just have to stop it from falling over.

I would also change the drive software to monitor the counts from the two
rotation sensors continuously - just do a 'Float' on whichever motor is
getting ahead.  If you wait for a complete wheel rotation before you check
then you can get quite a way off-track before you correct...however, that's
a small thing and you may well get away without needing to do that if you
don't have too far to go.

I guess I don't understand what you are trying to achieve with this
setup - but if you have rotation sensors on both wheels, why do you
need to mess around with the black paint and foil business?  You'll
know how roughly how far you've driven just from the rotation sensor
count and knowing the gear ratio and drive wheel circumference.

--
Steve Baker   HomeEmail: <sjbaker1@airmail.net>
              WorkEmail: <sjbaker@link.com>