 Robotics / 14393
Re: Make a goal by the IR port on RCX
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 15 Feb 2001 21:55:08 GMT

lego-robotics@crynwr.com (h9819152) writes:

I am working on a robotic assignment with RCX by legOS.
It is a small RCX vehicle that move around.

I want to add a goal for this vehicle.
Say, move towards a certain direction.
However, all the 3 sensors port had been used up for some purpose.

So I am considering if I could use the IR port on the RCX to produce a goal.

???Lead the vehicle with a infra-red beam???

Sadly, I am not familar with the infra-red command in legOS.

Could anyone of you give me some guidelines or suggestion?

If there is no way to free an input port for a light sensor you can try
other ways with IR.  You could use a PC to send messages to the RCX "turn
left", "turn right", "slow" and so on.  Now the problem is, how does your
PC know which direction should the RCX go?  A joystick could be a solution,
if that fits your needs.  Or use a mouse attached on the vehicle.  Well,
just ideas, (suggestions are always free :-).

More along the line of IR as a guide beam, you can use another RCX as a
beacon.  The second RCX send two types of message, one in `far' mode and
one in `near' mode.  If your wandering RCX gets both types of message is
going in the right direction (facing the beacon).  As a variant you could
have a mask in front of the beacon, partially obscuring the IR source.
Moving periodically the mask (e.g. fixed on a wheel) you can modulate the
intensity of the signal; counting how many messages per time unit the
moving RCX gets, you can guess its bearing.

Hope this helps, or may be it sparks a new idea in somebody else's mind :-).

bye
Bernardo