 Robotics / 14343
Re: Rope Climbing and Can Crushing at BrickBots.Com
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 13 Feb 2001 01:09:50 GMT

Doesn't a machine that does nothing score perfectly? If so, my entry is an
RCX sitting next to three cans. It finishes the instant it starts.
You have a formula time * height * bonus = score, with small being better.
So a robot that does no crushing in no time scores 0.

How about this formula instead:
crush factor = (original can size)/(crushed can height)-1
time factor = 100/(seconds+10)
bounus factor = Only one set of RIS parts 2, otherwise 0.
Score = crush * time + bonus
High score wins

Example scores, from worst to best:
100% size in 0 seconds = 0 points  (RCX does nothing)
20% size in  2 hours   = .06 points
50% size in 60 seconds = 1.43 points
20% size in  3 minutes = 2.1 points
50% size in 30 seconds = 2.5 points
30% size in 30 seconds = 5.83 points
40% size in 10 seconds = 7.5 points
20% size in 30 seconds = 10 points

I think this makes a nice trade off in time and efficiency, without
over-rewarding robots that do very little in a short time. It also has a
reasonable bonus for using only RIS parts that isn't too overwhelming.

Regards,
Amnon

In lugnet.robotics, Richard Sutherland writes:

Can Crushing
Start Date: 2/12/01
End Date: 2/26/01
Crush three (3) soda cans as quickly and completely as possible using only
LEGO power.
Score Type: Time

Complete rules:
http://brickbots.com/rules.asp?cid=29