 Robotics / 14351
Re: Rope Climbing and Can Crushing at BrickBots.Com
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 13 Feb 2001 21:25:13 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Tom Stangl writes:
In lugnet.robotics, Richard Sutherland writes:

Today a new contest starts

[SNIP]

I don't have the time to work on this, but I see a relatively simple way to do
this that might work well.

Build a column to stack all 3 cans into.  Place 3 "spikes" roughly dead center
at each can, the RCX powers a bar that moves the spikes in to dent the cans,
then retracts.

Put the RCX on top of the stack supported by some beams that connect to a
4x4 plate sitting on top of the top can. Add as many pieces as possible from
one RIS set (or if you want to use "external" pieces, add a ton of boat
weights) to the framework the RCX is on.  The RCX controls another motor that
pulls a pin, releasing the weight of the stack onto the cans.

Net time to start crush - tenths of a second at most - first motor spikes cans,
retracts spikes.  Next motor releases the pins holding the weight stack, and
the weight takes over from there.

The question is whether this would be faster than a cage with one end that is
pulled down by multiple motors (like a trash compactor).

Good idea, but the rules specify that the robot can not start with a store
of human provided potential energy (Aside from the batteries in the RCX if
you want to be technical).  The large weight waiting to drop would be a
bunch of human provided potential energy.  Weights are fine, but they must
be hoisted by the RCX before dropping as some of the challenge is using the
limited energy of the RCX to crush the cans.

Crushing all three cans at once is a-okay!  This seems like a quick way to
do things and my entry will likely use this method.

Good Building to all,

Rich

rich at brickbots dot com