 Robotics / 14349
Re: Rope Climbing and Can Crushing at BrickBots.Com
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 13 Feb 2001 20:42:51 GMT

Hi There,

Hmm, you found the loophole!  Okay, the rules have been changed to indicate
that all cans must be crushed at least 50%.  This should prevent the instant
win, but still keep the formula as it was.  The updated formula is a good
one, but since the contest has started I want to change as little as
possible.  I suspect that although this was an interesting intellectual
exercise, most builders were actually going to crush cans :-)

Thanks for finding this problem with the rules!

Rich

rich at brickbots dot com

In lugnet.robotics, sjbaker1@airmail.net writes:
Amnon Silverstein wrote:

Doesn't a machine that does nothing score perfectly? If so, my entry is an
RCX sitting next to three cans. It finishes the instant it starts.
You have a formula time * height * bonus = score, with small being better.
So a robot that does no crushing in no time scores 0.