 Robotics / 14197
Re: Text to Speech capability on the RCX
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 2 Feb 2001 22:54:07 GMT

hi Ram,

I wish to do the same.

I was looking for the code used for programs like "PC-speaker", but I
cant
find the source code.

So now I'm thinking of the following:
Normal sampling gives much to large files for the RCX.
With NQC or RCXcc you can play tones with a minimum length of 10 msec.
Why not divide the speech into parts of say 100 msec, determine what the
power is and what the frequency is (i.e. zero-crossing).
Then we're going to play tones, with the measured frequency or even with
constant frequency, and the amplitude we are going to modulate as the
puls
width.
So full volume is
    playtone(1000,10)
    wait(0)
and minimal amplitude sound is
    playtone(1000,1)
    wait(9)
and half volume is
    playtone(1000,5)
    wait(5)

Now I'm looking for a program that can translate a wav-file into the
suggested puls-widths.

Stef Mientki

Ram Meenakshisundaram wrote:

Hi,

A bit of a silly question, but does the RCX have a dedicated speaker or
can it only play tones?  I want to see if I can create a  TTS engine
that handles a very small  number of phonemes (spelled correctly??)
using LegOS or NQC.  Thanks.

Ram

--

       ,,,,
       /'^'\
|                        Ram Meenakshisundaram
|                        Senior Software Engineer
|                        OpenLink Financial Inc
|  .oooO                 Phone: (516) 227-6600 x267
|  (   )   Oooo.         Email: rmeenaks@olf.com
           (_/

--
MIME ATTACHMENTS DISCARDED:

1.  Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii