 Robotics / 14035
Re: IR Tower problems
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 22 Jan 2001 19:22:31 GMT

Rainer Balzerowski wrote:

YES, this shouldn't make a difference, because both the 9pin male and the 25
pin male are serial ports. But the 25 pin female is not !

BTW, this is not true on all hardware, but usually is true on PCs, which
is of course what we care about right now. Serial ports are male (IE,
have pins in them rather than holes) because part of the RS-232
specification is that you should be able to short any number of pins
together without killing the port. Note: I do not guarantee that you can
short ANY of the pins together without killing it; Proceed at your own risk.

Anyway, the lines on a serial port take 12 volts (I'm not sure if it's
0/-12, 0/+12, or +12/-12) and parallel is only 5 volts, IIRC. A parallel
port is quite delicate and really should not be connected or
disconnected while power is on. A serial port is much more robust and
it's nearly impossible to kill it.

and I don't think you could
break it by trying it in your printer port.

I don't know if you can break your hardware with this, but I wouldn't try !!!

You could probably kill your parallel port, but not the IR tower.

Just make sure you get the right kind of adapter, check if it need pins or
holes with both ends.

NO ! When using an adapter be sure it has holes at one end and pins at the
other (25 -> 9 or 9 -> 25)! Everythig else makes no sense !!

Actually, the IR tower has a male connector, so you will want to have a
connector which IS female at both ends. However, the IR tower's
connector is also recessed quite a long way, so finding a non-lego cable
which will fit may be difficult. The cable which lego provides has
connectors similar (if not identical) to the connectors once used on the
controllers for the Atari 2600/VCS. They are slim, and they only stay in
the socket through friction (IE, interference fit.) They are made of
somewhat soft plastic for durability.