 Robotics / 14016
Re: IR Tower problems
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 22 Jan 2001 08:27:37 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Trevor Foley writes:
In lugnet.robotics, Greg Ericksen writes:
  I recently purchased an IR tower to use with my Scout. It did not come
with a cable, but the tower was only 6$(www.eblok.com), so I found a cable
that could plug into the back of it. The other end of the cable fit into the
printer plug on the back of my computer.
  I do not know if this will work, because when using Scouttool from the
SDK, it says that the ghost cannot be initialized. I was wondering if there
is anyway that I could find out if my computer recognizes the IR tower.
  If anyone knows how to test this, please reply.
Thank You,
Greg Ericksen

I think it could probably work with the printr port.

Don't try this at home kids !!!!!!!!!
NO ! This can't work !! The printerport is as parallel port and not a serial
port.
The availablity of the IR-tower is checked by using the serial handshake line.
This can't work with printerport !

But what I would do is
get a serial to printer port adapter or buy another wire which ever is
cheapest.

I don't know a printerport to serial adapter till now. Please tell me were you
found such think.

I have a wire that runs out the serial port with a 25 pin(i
think) connection then an adapter 25 pin to 9 pin.  And i plug the gray ir
tower into that.  It really makes no difference

YES, this shouldn't make a difference, because both the 9pin male and the 25
pin male are serial ports. But the 25 pin female is not !

and I don't think you could
break it by trying it in your printer port.

I don't know if you can break your hardware with this, but I wouldn't try !!!

Just make sure you get the right kind of adapter, check if it need pins or
holes with both ends.

NO ! When using an adapter be sure it has holes at one end and pins at the
other (25 -> 9 or 9 -> 25)! Everythig else makes no sense !!

Everyone who isn't sure should have a look at
http://www.siris.gr/computers/conector/00003.htm
for example

Rainer