 Robotics / 13849
Re: Backup cd for lego movie maker
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 11 Jan 2001 16:51:23 GMT

Dean Husby wrote:

Dad wrote:

I wrecked (don't ask) my PC with this software and now the CD won't read (scratched).

Any ideas? I am not a as computer savvy as you all (understatement award given here). And my kids are in the middle of movie making (fortunately all on zip disks).

I know how you feel. My Studio CD came so badly off balance that it would not read without errors. I burned it to a CR-R (At 1x!) and saved it that way. Most
annoying...

Gamers Know(tm) that if you put a piece of tape or a sticker on the side
with less silkscreening, you can balance the CD. The problems come from
people either A> wanting the CD to be partially reflective on the top
side or B> not doing a four-color process, so some parts of the CD have
only basecoat and some have so much crap on them they look like they
were embossed.

Amusingly, older (slower) CD-ROM drives will read these unbalanced CDs
more readily than new ones will; The laser can actually track that fast.
When you get up around 8x or so it gets to be too much.

Old floppy labels are generally good for this sort of thing. Just
remember that on many CDs (especially cheap, unlabeled CDR media) you
must NOT attempt to remove the sticker or you will damage the CD. I've
done this before, and it sucks.