 Robotics / 13629
Re: Power inlet to RCX 1.5?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 29 Dec 2000 13:31:43 GMT

Some people already discussed it in the past but I don't remember nobody
saying that it was already done. I'm very interested in this matter also.

One idea was do use a wire with aligator clips connected to the internal
baterry connectors. You may need to cut the RCX box a little to leave space
for the wire. The other end could be connected to a female jack so that you
could connect an 9V AC adapter or a an external battery pack like the  9.6V
NiCd pack used in RC toys.

My main concerns are related to voltage variation. The external outlet at
RCX 1.0 accepted an input from 9-12V, so it had probably a kind of voltage
regulator internally. The battery case probably don't have such regulator.
If you use a 9.6V NiCd pack, a single diode in series would reduce the
voltage to 8.9-9V, which is acceptable.
But if you use an AC adacpter, you should use a very good one that outputs
exatly 9V. Most AC adapters aren't so reliable so you must take care. Yo may
need some aditional circuit. Would a 9V zener  diode solve the problem?

Tips anyone?

Mauro Vianna

In lugnet.robotics, Tobbe Arnesson writes:
Hi!

(No, I did not dig back in the news archive, perhaps I should? Can't
remeber seeing any final solution to this, a lot of questions about it
though)

Has anybody mixtured with the RCX 1.5 to give it an power inlet like
the 1.0? At least the same function but not looks. Any pictures?

I was thinking about doing this and I'd like others opinion before I
go ahed. It could come in handy. Perhaps some haux battery pack with a
cord to a transformator would be neat.

Suggestions/ideas are very much welcome.

Have a happy new year and lot's of new bricks :)

/Tobbe in a Sweden that finally got some snow.