 Robotics / 1359
Re: Air Tank overload??
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 12 Dec 1998 09:49:54 GMT

In article <3671BD48.C514686E@gte.net>, Kevin A. Saddi <ksaddi@gte.net>
writes
I just got the Search Sub kit and it's great. The main reason I got this
one is because it came with the air tank. I was wondering, what would
happen if, oh let's say I had a compressor attached to a running motor
(to supply the air tank with air)...Would pumping the air tank over its
"30-35x" limit damage the tank?
I use a pneumatic actuator retrained with rubber band.  When pressure is
high enough it makes a contact (wire in foil on the moving arm and
similar on a lego brick tower with overhead 'arm').  This is detected by
my Sinclair QL computer based program.  Pressure can be adjusted by
number of rubber bands.
Impossible I reckon to reach 35x with this setup though.  I use the
'switch' simply to prevent motor overheating.

Any ideas about setting up a compressor w/ motor and air tank system,
please post.
This is listed in spares, and I am sure is part of another set. The
unique part is a small pneumatic pump fixed to an axle at one end, and
to one hole of a slotted wheel core at the other. This wheel core is on
an axle and driven by the std small pulley on an adjoining motor.  'Cos
the lego bands are so crummy, we fit a double wheel/pulley.   I don't
know what the part is - my 8 year old worked it all out for me (8-)#
I will ask him for part nos if you need.

All this is done to demonstrate my Sinclair QL based I2c interfaces (see
web page).  I use the motor driver I/F which also has 4 bit additional
logic I/O.  I have made a box with 4 standard lego 2 way connectors for
motors, and one permanent power, all with leds. This box plugs direct
into my motor driver device.

This, with the analogue interface, is primarily done to run the Lego
Dacta outfits.  Not only is the std Lego Dacta box and software damned
expensive, but only runs on IBMs (and MAC?).

My setup is not for Lego purists (8-)#

--
           QBBS (QL fido BBS 2:257/67) (+44)1442-828255
mailto:tony@firshman.demon.co.uk     http://www.firshman.demon.co.uk