 Robotics / 13519
Re: Opening RCX Code programs in Web Browser gives text
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 18 Dec 2000 17:56:24 GMT

Ben Erwin wrote:

I should add that this was Internet Explorer 5.5.  I just discovered that
this does not work with Netscape... although maybe there is some setting
that you can do to make it happen.  Of course, I could always link the .rcx
extension with launching probe.exe, but that is not as fun.

This is probably related to how IE and Netscape handle mime types,
especially application/unknown (or application/x-unknown, I forget.)
Netscape seems to entirely rely on mime types, but IE appears to be more
versatile. If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say that IE will check the
first N bytes of the file (where N is a fairly small number, probably
around 128) and see if they are all 7-bit data, IE, ASCII text. If it
is, then it assumes the file is text/plain and displays it as text. Mind
you, this is all conjecture on my part; I don't know if IE actually does
this or if it does something lamer. If it's smart it also checks to see
if it has CR-LF pairs (control-m, control-j) or just a CR to terminate
lines, but who knows.

Anyway, if you control the webserver, you should be able to add .rcx to
the list of extensions which map to text/plain and it should display
properly in all browsers.