 Robotics / 13479
Re: OOhh new preson
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 15 Dec 2000 04:32:11 GMT

John Best wrote:

I would like to write a program that allows a user to control a robotic arm
with a contraption strapped to their own arm.

Several key points.
-------------------

3 rotation sensors on each arm..
The user watches a tv screen which shows what a vision command camera can
see.

eventual development...I want to do it over a network.

This seems like an EXCELLENT project!

Send photo's!

It would be cool to make it bidirectional and have touch sensors in the
'fingers' of the robot arm that send commands back to the thingy you strap
to your arm to make a set of motors press gently on your fingertips.

This is called 'haptic feedback' - and it's VERY cool.  You move your fingers -
and as the robot grabs something, you can *feel* what it's feeling!

What's even better is to somehow measure the amount of power you have to exert
with the robot arm in order to perform the task that it's commanded to do -
and then send that back to the controller and apply that same amount of force
back onto the human's arm.  Then you can feel the weight of things you pick up.

The only thing I'm a bit worried about is the vision command thing, any
words of wisdom from lego-wise persons?
("give up now, you're doomed".. is not helpful)

Well, I don't see that as a big deal - you might be better off using a
regular 'web cam' though.

What'll get tricky (over a remote link) is that you'll have a big delay
between moving your arm and seeing it happen.  This latency can make
these things virtually uncontrollable.

--
Steve Baker   HomeEmail: <sjbaker1@airmail.net>
              WorkEmail: <sjbaker@link.com>