 Robotics / 13478
Re: OOhh new preson
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 15 Dec 2000 08:03:04 GMT

I like your 'thinking big' approach.

I am sort of wondering why you are wanting to use VB. Even if you are used
to using VB, programming for the RCX is so different than standard VB
programming problems that I wonder if past experience with VB would really
be that useful. NQC is free, compatible with the new beta firmware, and
there is plenty of documentation on the net and in books. NQC isn't hard to
set up. It's much easier to set up than LEGOS (or so I hear). NQC is, from
my experience, a little easier to get started with than pbFORTH, though
pbFORTH is probably more flexible.

I just wanted you to take a pause and think if VB is really the way you want
to go.

In lugnet.robotics, Clive Wadham writes:
Hi John, some answers to your questions...
1) I don't know of any lego clubs in London - I live west of London and am
not aware of any in the area. (maybe we should start one!)
2) I found this web site http://emhain.wit.ie/~p98ac25/ excellent for
learning VB for Mindstorms - (The reports from the home page print into a
great reference) also there is quite a bit of VB info in Robert Penfold's
book - Introducing Robotics with Lego Mindstorms, available from amazon.co.uk.
3) Go with your idea - I've always found having a 'master' plan a great way
to learn, even if you don't achieve what you originally pictured.

As for Vision Command, you could just use it as a remote camera and monitor
what it sees on you PC, not very remote though, the cable is only 5 meters long.

Hope this helps
Clive

In lugnet.robotics, <john.best@simplytrading.com> writes:
Hello all, I'm new to mindstorms and I have a few of questions.

1.) anyone know of a lego club in London?

2.) Could someone point me at a good resource that clarifies how to use vb
to program a robot.

(I have written a tiddly little program that controls a couple of motors,
but I have no confident mental picture of how to program "Actual Programs"
into the robot, and such like)

3.) I have a nice big plan (I always do...just my thing) That I wish to work
towards.(gradually writing code and buying bits of lego as I go) Could you
all please read and laugh heartily, the kind of laugh that comes from the
diaghphram.

I would like to write a program that allows a user to control a robotic arm
with a contraption strapped to their own arm.

Several key points.
-------------------

3 rotation sensors on each arm..
The user watches a tv screen which shows what a vision command camera can
see.

eventual development...I want to do it over a network.

The only thing I'm a bit worried about is the vision command thing, any
words of wisdom from lego-wise persons?
("give up now, you're doomed".. is not helpful)

anyhoo back to work

Cheers
John Boy