 Robotics / 13449
Re: another solution/problem
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 12 Dec 2000 19:40:37 GMT

You could use the 6-Leg Walker "Mushi Mushi 7" at
http://mindstorms.lego.com/ in the "Master Builder Tutorial" as the platform
for experimentation.  I thought the design was real good, ie, symmetrical
and with no extra parts used.  My only reservation was that 'turning' the
insect was problematic due to the method of connection of the legs.  Perhaps
you could improve that.

Because both left and right gear trains turn forward, using a differential
to sychronize did not work;  I wish I could have made them turn in opposite
directions so the differential could do a subtraction.  Instead, I mounted a
touch-switch on each side and the program checked for synchronization every
step.  The delay (for synch) gave it a more bug-like gait.

Then you could move on to spiders.  Spiders, you see, have 8 legs...

Jerry

In lugnet.robotics, Mike Fusion writes:
i as thinking about this when i was playing with the new cyber spider
www.wowwee.com ]

with legs on both sides usually youdon't want the robot to move in such a
way that it is bouncing up and down synchronously it just doesn't look
right....