 Robotics / 13446
13445  |  13447
Subject:
another solution/problem
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 12 Dec 2000 16:24:14 GMT

i as thinking about this when i was playing with the new cyber spider
www.wowwee.com ]

with legs on both sides usually youdon't want the robot to move in such a
way that it is bouncing up and down synchronously it just doesn't look
right....

so what i was thinking for turning was to get the legs to move exactly in a
180 degree phase of each other on opposite sides.

my idea is that you could use a differential to drive the legs, and for
turning the drive motor could be stopped with another motor turning the legs
in opposite directions due to the differential.

now i see the problem of having the extra motor giving drag on the side that
it is on forcing the platform to turn, but maybe there is a way to use some
sort of centrifugal clutch to prevent drive until rotation of the motor.  of
course this just came to me: a directional transmission may work but that
would only give turning in one direction.  unless, perhaps the directional
transmission could be used only for the turning and still a separate motor
for driving.  this would require good programming due to the fact that the
floating motor would have to be between the gears.  but i ramble on.
any way i know of the float() command but i still think that the motor would
give drag.

well, i just thought that this would be an idea, no mechanical background
here except for mindstorms.

that is all.

mike