 Robotics / 13025
RE: Old idea or new idea?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 2 Nov 2000 23:14:36 GMT

Ralph Hempel wrote:

>Sounds like the MIT "Cricket" to me John....
>As an embedded guy yourself, you know this means distributing
>power to each brick with its own battery, unless you want a wire
>in which case you might as well use a standard serial link :-)
>Maybe now's the time for you to learn pbForth, so you can send
>arbitrary byte messages from 1 RCX to another....

The method to this particular madness was that it could retain the
pre-existing Lego infrastructure of RCX's already equipped with the
IR links, battery boxes, for power distribution, because I don't fancy
having batteries in every sensor and motor brick, and standard
Lego wires.

Although there are a few of us ;) who might relish the thought of
happily scattering bits of our code throughout a small zoo of oddly
shaped semi-intelligent bricks, it can become quite the handful to
tame. And I'm not sure it's everybody's idea of fun.

By rather arbitrarily suggesting that all a remote sensor can do is
sense, or a remote motor can do is go forward, reverse or stop, the
opportunites to get thoroughly lost in a sea of autonomous processes
is greatly reduced.

I think ...

JB