 Robotics / 13026
Re: RCX respond time
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 2 Nov 2000 21:35:55 GMT

"Eelco Kooiker" <eelco@kooiker.demon.nl> schreef in bericht
news:G3EsvE.BI1@lugnet.com...
I have some questions about the RCX.

When I make a very simple program: Turn on motor A when Touchsensor 1 is
pressed. How long takes it when I press the touchsensor before the motor • is
turning? 1 clockcylce of the CPU?

When I make a program where e.g. 3 tasks run at the same time. Are they
REALY running at the same time (multitasking) or are they running after • each
other (multi-thredding?). Does this mean that when you make a program with • 3
running tasks the respondtime of the RCX will be 3 times longer? (3
clockcycles?).

Regards,

Eelco Kooiker
http://www.kooiker.demon.nl/eelco/

Eelco,

The "Introduction to the legOS kernel" from Stig Nielson based on the
excelent work of Kekoa Proudfoot (Tolkien ?)
speaks about 10mS clicks in with a task is activated, so I presume that
there is always a delay of 10mS.
The load of multiple tasks on the system depends on the purpose of the tasks
, e.g. are you using a timer or loops inputchecks (AD-conversion costs
relatively a lot of time, a wait command gives very little systemload
because in the waiting time the system can do something else. But a
repeative check of a input give relatively a bigger system load, the mesage
system also because its realtime.
The fastest way to do things on the RCX is at the moment legOS because there
is almost no overhead from the Kernel.
The firmware of LEGO it self , is a command/byte interperter witch gives
alot of overhead something as Windows on a PC, DOS was a lot faster but
simpler.

Greetings

Rik Bos

"luiheid is des meesters oorkussen"