 Robotics / 12947
  Using one motor to do 2 things...

Hello Mindstorms fans, I am suffering through a bit of an engineering block. Let me explain: I had an idea to build a drivetrain that will provide both front/back movement and left/right(turning) movement off one motor. My question is: is this (...) (24 years ago, 27-Oct-00, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Using one motor to do 2 things...

Hi Jason It's a Friday night and my mind has disengaged so I've not totally thought these through, but you could try a combination of ratchets and directional gearboxes (as seen in the Unofficial guide to Lego Mindstorms by J Knudsen). Basically you (...) (24 years ago, 27-Oct-00, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Using one motor to do 2 things...

Stupid me I just thought of another problem that makes this an engineering impossiblity (I think). How to reverse directions of the left/right action? It seems making the forward/backward motion and the left/right motion on the same motor is (...) (24 years ago, 27-Oct-00, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Using one motor to do 2 things...

(...) I think it would be very difficult to get workable bidirectional control of 2 things from one motor. However, it is quite possible to multiplex motors so you can do many more then 2 things from 2 motors. For example, you can have one motor (...) (24 years ago, 27-Oct-00, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Using one motor to do 2 things...

I don't know if this will help, but i'm currently working on a device that lets one motor drive four seperate axles. Downside is that it's one direction only, and only one axle can be used at one time. Howerver, you could use an extra gear to make (...) (24 years ago, 27-Oct-00, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Using one motor to do 2 things...

The approach I would take would be to use a splitter (ratchet or worm) and make one output shaft a gear selector for a transmission, and the other shaft the input power for the transmission. The transmission design would be tricky, because the (...) (24 years ago, 27-Oct-00, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Using one motor to do 2 things...

Could you do something with this trick? (URL) (24 years ago, 27-Oct-00, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Using one motor to do 2 things...

(...) I build these and it solves all my problems for all motors and sensors... (URL) the link to build and see what it's about... (...) Dean -- Coin-Op's For Sale!: (URL) Lego Workshop: (URL) Lego Club: (URL) (24 years ago, 27-Oct-00, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Using one motor to do 2 things...

I just posted a message on Thursday about this. I solved this problem in Minerva, in my book _The Unofficial Guide to Lego Mindstorms Robots_. Then I solved it again, in a different way, for the RIS 1.5-compliant version of Minerva. The building (...) (24 years ago, 28-Oct-00, to lugnet.robotics)