 Robotics / 12954
Re: Using one motor to do 2 things...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 27 Oct 2000 22:08:05 GMT

The approach I would take would be to use a splitter (ratchet or worm) and make
one output shaft a gear selector for a transmission, and the other shaft the
input power for the transmission. The transmission design would be tricky,
because the selector would need to cycle between the gears and it would
need 4 outputs for one input to get the functionality you want. It would
probably require some sort of feedback switch so your device could determine
which gear it was in.
My first Lego project was a one-motor line-following robot. If the motor ran
forward, it would sweep the steering. If the motor ran backwards, it would
drive. This made the program really simple. If you see the line, drive. If you
don't see the line, sweep.
-Amnon