 Robotics / 12951
Re: Using one motor to do 2 things...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 27 Oct 2000 20:53:45 GMT

On Fri, 27 Oct 2000, Jason wrote:

Stupid me I just thought of another problem that makes this an engineering
impossiblity (I think).

How to reverse directions of the left/right action?  It seems making the
forward/backward motion and the left/right motion on the same motor is mutually
exclusive.

Is this right? :(

I think it would be very difficult to get workable bidirectional control
of 2 things from one motor.  However, it is quite possible to multiplex
motors so you can do many more then 2 things from 2 motors.  For example,
you can have one motor control a gearbox of some sort that switches the
output from another motor.  Aside from the restriction that only one can
be active at any given time, you can have an arbitrary number of
bidirectional outputs this way.  As an added benefit, you only need one
rotation sensor to track all of them, since you know which output is active
and can save the counts before and after switching.

Additionally, you can use a number of tricks mentioned earlier (ratchet &
differential, sliding wormgear, etc) to split a motor into unidirectional
control over two outputs.  If your gearbox is circular in nature, you only
need unidirectional output for switching gears, so you have another
unidirectional output for something.  Thus you can have one bidirectional
and one unidirectional output running all the time with one of an arbitrary
number of other bidirectional outputs.

John A. Tamplin LiveOnTheNet.COM, Inc.
jat@LiveOnTheNet.COM 2104 West Ferry Way
256/705-7007 - FAX 256/705-7100 Huntsville, AL 35801