 Robotics / 12733
Re: The Datalog
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 10 Oct 2000 21:09:42 GMT

John Barnes wrote:

I have noticed a number of comments about the RCX byte code
system, including this thread, which would like to see some sort of
datalog read function.

My question is;

Does Lego have a copyright on the byte code interpretation?

If not, then wouldn't it be possible to use the LegOS development
environment to build a replacement to firm0328 which would include
some extra byte codes for such functions?

I would have no problems using such a combination of NQC version 3
with someone's firm0331 :)

Who knows, perhaps a more direct implimentation of a special array
variable could be included along the lines of reserving 30 and 31. 30
would be the index, and 31 would access the indexed location in a
variable space outside 0 - 31. I could use this tomorrow if it existed!
Heck, I'd go home and start right now!

JB

If we could duplicate the firmware's functions for "the standard" and
create a "super set" on top of it for other functions we could really make
the RCX a powerful beast. Picture this...

Firmware with options when installing it. Do you want Datalog? Do you want
MORE variables? How about arrays? Networking? Make a system that you could
choose options for the finite resources tailored to your projects needs...
This would be great... You could also make the RCX have better I/O with
other RCX bricks. Network them as it were... Add new sensor types and
modes...

If you made a system compatible with the masses but with the ability to add
needed features in an open source type. The sky would be the limit...

Dean
--
Coin-Op's For Sale!: http://www.akasa.bc.ca/tfm/coin-op.html
Dean's Lego Workshop: http://www.akasa.bc.ca/tfm/lego_wr.html